The village of Kourkoumelata in Kefallonia is one of the most beautiful on the island. Its gardens and neoclassical buildings are sights worth seeing themselves indeed, and they attract many tourists every year, especially in summer season.
The area was first inhabited around 15th century, and took its name by the Kourkoumelis' family surname, as these were the first to live there. In 1953 a strong earthquake destroyed the village completely. Thanks to the assistance of the shipowner Georgios Vergiotis, who was actually born there, Kourkoumelata was built again from the beginning, and in absolute harmony with the neoclassical architectural style of that period.
The village has a park, a square, a hotel, the Philharmonic of Leivathou building, a majestic church, cultural center and sports facilities area, with a stadium included.